POLLUTION LOCATOR| Superfund | Superfund Site Report

Superfund Site Report: MIDNITE MINE
 
 
  • Map Locating Superfund Site
  •   [ top ]
     
     
  • Site Description
    Stage of Clean-up: Study Underway

    The Midnite URANIUM+ Mine (MUM) is located on the Spokane Indian Reservation about eight miles from Wellpinit, Washington. The mine was developed and operated by Dawn Mining Company (DMC). DMC is a subsidiary corporation 49 percent owned by Midnite Mines, a publicly held Delaware corporation originally incorporated by Spokane Tribal members and others. The remaining 51 percent of DMC is held by Newmont, Inc. The property was leased by DMC from the Spokane Tribe and individual tribal members, and the mining leases are administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). While DMC is responsible for final reclamation of the site, the specifics of the reclamation are still to be determined. During mine operations, ore from the mine was transported off the Spokane Reservation to the DMC mill 25 miles east of the mine at Ford, Washington. The operator ceased mining URANIUM+ ore in 1981. All production from the mine has been from open pits. Approximately 3 million tons of 0.02 percent URANIUM+ oxide ore, 2.5 million tons of low grade ore (protore), and approximately 33 million tons of waste rock were excavated from six pits. Two pits are still open and fill with rain water and ground water. The other four pits have been back-filled with soil from the area.  More...
  •   [ top ]
     
     
  • Threats and Contaminants
    Contaminants Detected

      Ground
    Water
    Surface
    Water
    Air Soil Other
    ALUMINUM    X
    ALUMINUM COMPOUNDS    X
    ARSENIC X   
    ARSENIC (ORGANIC OR INORGANIC COMPOUNDS) X   
    BARIUM X   
    BARIUM COMPOUNDS X   
    BERYLLIUM X   
    BERYLLIUM COMPOUNDS X   
    CADMIUM X   
    COBALT X   
    COBALT COMPOUNDS X   
    COPPER X   
    COPPER COMPOUNDS X   
    LEAD X   
    MANGANESE X   
    MANGANESE COMPOUNDS X   
    NICKEL X   
    NICKEL COMPOUNDS X   
    RADIUM X   
    SELENIUM X   
    SELENIUM COMPOUNDS X   
    THALLIUM    X
    THALLIUM COMPOUNDS    X
    THORIUM X   
    URANIUM X   
    VANADIUM X   
    VANADIUM COMPOUNDS X   
    ZINC X   
    ZINC COMPOUNDS X   


    Groundwater and Drinking Water

    Were drinking water wells shut down due to contamination? No data
    Are drinking water wells potentially threatened? No data
     
  •   [ top ]
     
     
  • Pre-Cleanup Rankings
    EPA Hazard Ranking System scores for MIDNITE MINE:

    Less Hazard National Average More Hazard
    0%         50%         100%

    Overall site:
    Surface water migration:


    Rank Superfund sites in the U.S., WASHINGTON, or in STEVENS County by EPA Hazard Ranking Scores.

    *Note: EPA's Hazard Ranking System is designed to screen and prioritize sites for the Superfund program, based on limited data available at time of listing. These scores are not based on a comprehensive risk assessment of the site and do not reflect conditions after initiation of cleanup work.
  •   [ top ]
     
     
  • Site Information
    Site Name: MIDNITE MINE
    EPA ID: WAD980978753
    Address: T28N R37E S12
    WELLPINIT, WA 99040
    Other Names: MIDNIGHT MINE
    Site Ownership: Indian Lands
    Category of Site: No data
    Date of Final Listing on the NPL: May 11, 2000
  •   [ top ]
     
     
  • Potentially Responsible Party (PRP) Involvement
    Number of PRPs currently associated with this site: 0

    List Potentially Responsible Parties identified by U.S. EPA as associated with the MIDNITE MINE Superfund site.
  •   [ top ]
     
     
    Email U.S. Senate
    Email U.S. House of Representatives
    Email EPA
    Join an online discussion about this county


    Email a Scorecard Community Report to a friend
    Network with environmental groups
    Learn how to use Scorecard to find out about toxics in your community


    Contribute to Environmental Defense
    Volunteer with environmental groups in your community

      [ top ]
     
     
  • Links
    EPA Site Information Scorecard reports for STEVENS County on:
  •   [ top ]