Stage of Clean-up: Remedy Selected
Conditions at Proposal (August 23, 1994): The Reynolds faci lity is a primary ALUMINUM reduction plant where ALUMINA from bau xite is reduced to ALUMINUM. The facility is approximately 1.25 miles north of the City of Troutdale, Oregon. The Columbia River forms its northern border and the Sandy River forms its eastern border. A dike surrounds the plant on the northern and eastern s ides, and protects the plant from floods. Site areas north and e ast of the dike are within the 100-year flood plain. The plant was completed in 1941 for the United States govern ment war-time operations. Reynolds first leased the plant from the government in June 1946, and purchased it in June 1949. Curre ntly, Reynolds owns the 80.25-acre plant area and approximately 5 00 surrounding acres. The ALUMINUM reduction plant has been shut down since November 1991 for economic reasons. Currently, there are approximately 100 workers for maintenance, security, adminis tration, and casting ingots from molten ALUMINUM transported to the plant from the Reynolds reduction plant in Longview, Washingto n. More...