Stage of Clean-up: Study Underway
Conditions at Proposal (September 5, 2002): The Lammers Barrel property is now a vacant lot, approximately two acres in size, located in Beavercreek, Ohio. The property is bisected by Little Beaver Creek which flows west to east through the site. The property is bordered to the west and south by Grange Hall Road and East Patterson Road, respectively. An abandoned railroad right of way makes up the northern border. The facility experienced a fire in 1969, that completely destroyed the buildings. The only structures remaining are a concrete pad, a non-functional production well, and pipes that appear to run from the former facility to the creek. Operations began at Lammers Barrel Factory in 1953 and continued until the fire in October 1969. According to former employees, the facility bought, sold and reclaimed all types of solvents. Any inventories of chemicals handled at the facility were reportedly destroyed in the fire. During operation, the facility had an above-ground storage capacity of over 500,000 gallons. This consisted of eighteen vertical tanks, ranging in size from 2,500 to 25,000 gallons and approximately 6,000 55-gallon drums. Sampling of residential wells began in the mid-1980s. In 1985, analyses of approximately 90 residential well samples throughout Beavercreek identified an area of ground water contamination along the northern end of the Valleywood subdivision, located southeast of the facility. More...