Stage of Clean-up: Study Underway
The Armco, Inc. Hamilton Plant (Armco) site is associated with a 120-acre inactive industrial facility located in Hamilton, Ohio. The facility property is bordered by the Great Miami River to the east and south, by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to the north and west, and is divided into a northern portion and a southern portion by Augspurger Road. The southern parcel consists of 92 fenced acres and was used for manufacturing operations, including a coke production facility and blast furnaces. The northern parcel is unfenced and consists of approximately 27 acres. The northern parcel was formerly a rail yard and temporary storage area for scrubber sludge waste piles and also contains a 4.5-acre landfill. The facility operated as a steel mill, producing both coke and molten iron, under various ownership since the 1900s. Armco purchased the facility in 1937 from the Hamilton Coke and Iron Company, and AK Steel subsequently acquired the facility in 1994. Armco manufactured both coke and iron until 1982 when coke production ceased. Armco continued to produce iron until 1991, and the facility was then used intermittently until it was completely closed in 1994. The coke operation covered approximately 50 acres on the southern portion of the property. Byproducts of the coke operation included coal tar, naphthalene, coke oven gas, crude light oil, and ammonium sulfate. The waste streams from the operation were passed through an exhauster and flushed into a decanting tank. More...