Stage of Clean-up: Study Underway
Conditions at Proposal (July 1998): The Brandywine Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO) site is an inactive U.S . Department of Defense (DoD) facility that occupies approximatel y 8 acres of land. The U.S. Navy operated the site as a storage yard from an unknown date until 1955, when it was transferred to the U.S. Air Force. In 1973, the Defense Supply Agency (DSA) ass umed control of the site, and the Defense Property Disposal Organ ization (DPDO) received a permit from Andrews Air Force Base (AAF B) to use the property. The Brandywine DRMO site is located in s outhern Prince George's County, Maryland, about 8 miles south-sou theast of AAFB. The site lies within the Potomac River Basin. From approximately 1955 until 1988, the DRMO site was used p rincipally as a storage area for surplus electrical equipment and other materials and for storage of hazardous wastes. The site w as used by many different DoD operations, including AAFB, Bolling Air Force Base, the Washington Naval Yard, the Naval Surface War fare Center (NSWC)-Indian Head, and White Oak Laboratory (now kno wn as NSWC-White Oak). More...