Stage of Clean-up: Remedial Assessment Not Begun
U.S. Smelter and LEAD Refinery, Inc. (USS LEAD) formerly operated on a 79-acre property at 5300 Kennedy Avenue in East Chicago, Lake County, Indiana. The Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad is to the north of the site, the East West Toll Road and the east branch of the Grand Calumet River to the south, Kennedy Avenue to the east, and Indiana Harbor Canal to the west. The area is primarily industrial. From about 1906 to 1920, a COPPER smelter operated on the property. Starting in 1920, among other activities USS LEAD operated a primary LEAD smelter on 25 acres of the property. In 1973, USS LEAD converted to secondary smelting, recovering LEAD from scrap metal and old automobile batteries. Operations stopped in December 1985. Two waste materials were generated during smelting. The blast furnace slag was piled up south of the plant building; once a year, the pile was leveled off into what was originally a nearby 21-acre wetland, according to the Army Corps of Engineers. More...