Stage of Clean-up: Study Underway
Redstone Arsenal (RSA) is located in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama. RSA encompasses 38,300 acres, 36,459 of which the Department of the Army controls. The George C. Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) leases the remaining 1,841 acres. Approximately 15,500 acres are woodlands, 9,200 are leased for agricultural use, and 4,100 are designated as the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge. Morton-Thiokol Chemical Corp., a government contractor-operator, uses a portion of RSA property for the development of solid rocket propellants and the General ANILINE and Film Corp. leases approximately 10 acres for the production of IRON carbonyl. Olin-Mathieson Chemical Co. (DDT manufacturing), Raytheon Co. (rocket motor assembly), Rohm and Haas Allied Chemical and Dye (CHLORINE manufacturing), and Stauffer Chemical Co. (CHLORINE manufacturing) have conducted operations at RSA in the past. Three separate military facilities (Redstone Ordnance Plant, Huntsville Arsenal, and Gulf Chemical Warfare Depot) were established at RSA in 1941 and worked together from 1942 to 1945, producing conventional and chemical munitions used during World War II. More...