January 27, 2000
Subject: Response to Environmental Defense Fund
Featherlite, Inc., Cresco, Iowa
Environmental Defense Fund:
Your organization listed the subject facility on your WEB site as a top-
ten, nationally ranked polluter causing increased cancer risk to
neighboring citizens. It is our desire to explain the following:
1. The 1997 Form R report (the source of data used in your report) was
based on erroneous facility data that mistakenly grossly over reported
chemical releases to the environment.
2. Analysis of the corrected facility data shows that the reporting
threshold (for chemicals otherwise used) is not reached. Therefore, it
is no longer necessary for this facility to report for manganese, copper,
3. Phosporic acid is no longer reportable because the pH of the solution
is greater than 6.0.
4. This analysis holds true for reporting years 1996, 1997, and 1998.
5. By switching to environmentally friendly materials, dichloromethane,
and 1,1,1-trichloroethane have not been reported since 1997.
6. Corrected Form R reports are being prepared for signature by
Featherlite and submittal to USEPA.
It is regrettable that we made the reporting mistake. Please print a
retraction, or otherwise make it known to your constituents and
subscribers that Featherlite, Inc. is an environmentally conscious
corporation. Featherlite, Inc. is in full compliance with all applicable
state and federal environmental regulations.
Nelson Engineering, P.C.
Dick Nelson, P.E.